MARIAN E. WRIGHT WRITING CENTER

Serving students and faculty since 1971

Sometimes, things are hard. Especially right now, when we’re all self-isolated due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. As we all know, in tough situations like this, it’s sometimes difficult to process our thoughts and emotions. I would argue, however, an effective way to do this is creative writing.

There are no constraints in creative writing, you can let your imagination run free. You can put your pain, your stress, and even your joy into it. The only limit in creative writing is you! You can be the creator of your own story! Even better, it can be in any form you want, whether it be a poem, a short story, or even a novel.

While writing may not solve all of your problems right now, it can certainly help you work through them, whether it’s fear over what’s going on in our world right now, a breakup, etc., writing your emotions can help you de-stress and process them. Creative expression is good, no matter what is going on.

While I admittedly do not creatively write as much as I ought to perhaps, I can vouch for the fact that it helps to get that emotion out on paper, and makes me feel just a little bit better about what’s going on in my life. You can be the creator of your own journey.

Heck, maybe you’re just bored sitting at home, you can write for fun too! Write whatever your imagination desires. You can create whatever world you imagine! Just take a deep breath and have fun with it. You don’t have to write alone either, you could set up a FaceTime or Skype call with a friend to discuss ideas, or even make a Google Doc and collaborate together in real-time. Thankfully, with today’s technology, even when we’re feeling apart, we can do things together, no matter the distance.

So, sit back, relax, and pick up that laptop, or that reliable pencil, and get writing!