MARIAN E. WRIGHT WRITING CENTER

Serving students and faculty since 1971

I have been told numerous times that the more I read, the better I write and the more I write the better at it I become. I believed it then and I still believe it but there is a problem with it as a college student. I don’t have a lot of time to write. I am an English major so many people stereotype me and say that I read and write a lot; but the fact of the matter is I don’t have a lot of time to write and when I do write it’s for a class. The question then becomes “I don’t have a lot of time to write. How do you find time to write?” My answer to that is, you make it. If you want to become a better writer you have to make it a priority. It is all up to you. Find your best writing spot and start writing. Have writer’s block? Here are some suggestions for writing: keep a journal and write about your day, how you feel, what’s bothering you, what classes are difficult. Sit outside when you aren’t busy and write about your surroundings. Write a fictional story using events from your life and use different names.

Now go forth, make time, and write.