Nuremberg

How do you even describe a city like Nuremberg. There is so much that has happened there for centuries. It played a key role in not only the Holy Roman Empire, but also with the Third Reich and the Nuremberg Rallies. Now don’t forget that I am not a historian. I do not have the same background knowledge as the students and especially the faculty. I have to admit Nuremberg is a beautiful city and Nuremberg castle fits in with the city so well.

These three photos are just some of my favorite photos of the city. This photo was taken from a tower at Nuremberg Castle.

Dr. Molnar telling the students about the Beautiful Fountain. Something interesting is that in the fence around the fountain you can find rings. If you spin the ring it is suppose to give you 7 years of good luck and many children!
Dr. Molnar giving the students the history of Nuremberg

We did a lot of walking around the city and the students got the chance to explore on their own multiple times. Some of the tours that we did while in Nuremberg included a tour of the torture chamber, German National Museum, the Nazi Documentation Center (which was the rally grounds), and the most “German” of German cities. We were also able to tour Nuremberg castle.

Hauptmarkt which is the city center. There were tons of vendors and you could buy just about anything.
Students exploring the chapel of Nuremberg Castle
Students learning about the well at Nuremberg Castle

The city was also beautiful at night because everything was light up.

Church of Our Lady at night
Nuremberg Castle at night from my hotel room window.

My favorite place while we were in Nuremberg was the Nazi Documentation Center (which was the rally grounds). We had an amazing tour that took us around the grounds to learn about the different buildings and what they we planning on using them for. It amazed me that many of the huge buildings that were being constructed or where planned to be constructed were only going to be used for one day out of the whole year. On top the that the rally grounds were only going to be used for one week for the whole year.

Part of the Nuremberg Rally Grounds
Part of the Nuremberg Rally Grounds
Part of Nuremberg Rally Grounds