"What's next?"

Shout out to the class of 2014! The countdown to May 4, 2014 has begun (that’s in just 169 days in case you were wondering), and as the day gets closer and closer, the number of people asking you “what’s next?” gets higher and higher. If you’re like me, you’ve had senioritis since Winter 2013 and the thought of what comes after graduation seems thrilling and exciting. However, it can also be overwhelming. I’m an anxious/excited combination when I think of all that’s to come. I’m ready to graduate and go to grad school, and it’s also another step closer to begin wedding planning with my fiancé. On the flip side though, I can feel grad school application deadlines looming, the weight of my honors thesis is heavy, and I am more than ready for the brief respite that will be Thanksgiving break. With all of that said, the thing that’s been getting me through is having a plan and staying as organized as possible.

My first grad school application is due December 15 – that’s in just 30 days, guys. When I think about it like that, I’m nowhere near ready. Luckily, though, I’ve made a to-do list and set more attainable deadlines so that it doesn’t seem so overwhelming. Below you’ll find three things that have been helping me work through this process, but that also apply to life in general.

1. Break down the deadlines. It’s going to seem less daunting if you break down one big thing in to several small things. Most of the applications require transcripts, a resumé, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and an application fee. I look at that list and I think “Yikes!” However, I set a deadline a couple of weeks ago for my transcripts, I made sure to save paying for the application until I’d gotten paid, and I’ve been setting time aside every few days to develop my personal statement and resumé. Looking at this from smaller deadlines has helped me not want to extend graduation another semester because of the load (although it has crossed my mind once or twice).

2. Leave yourself adequate time to get things together. While the application isn’t due until December 15, I’ve asked the gracious people writing my recommendation letters to complete them by December 1. This leaves me enough time to polish up all of the pieces on my end, and also leaves some wiggle room in case life happens and they’ve been preoccupied with tasks of their own. Rather than stressing out on December 14 if I don’t have all of my letters, I’ve got 2 weeks to work with those people, although fingers crossed I won’t need it!

3. Relax and have fun. Even though moving on to this next phase of life is a big step, take time to just relax and de-stress every once in a while. Getting in these applications, or doing anything else for that matter, likely isn’t the only thing you’ve got on your plate, so make time for yourself and any other responsibilities or commitments. Leave time to watch TV or play video games. This way you get time to do the things you enjoy and also can have time to dedicate to your applications and what-not without being burned out.

While graduation does still seem pretty far away, May 4th will be here in the blink of an eye. Be sure to make the most of your time at UM-Flint and do things that you’re passionate about. As I think about the end of next semester, I also think about all that I’ve been able to do here. One way to keep track of those is by checking out the list of “101 Things to Do Before You Graduate.” How many can you mark off right now? I’ve done 66 of them so far and I’m looking forward to completing 98-101 in the near future!

PS. Shout out to anyone who’s completed number 70 – our first training of the year begins today! GO BLUE!