Grad school or no Grad school? The age old question.

As a senior (I mean Super Junior, heck yeah!), the second question I’m asked after “Are you graduating?” is “So are you going to grad school?”  Oooh, how I just adore this question -_-  Many juniors and seniors go back and forth with this, whether they should go to grad school or not. And if they want, then the question becomes: Should I work first or go straight through? We’re just starting to scratch the surface are who we are as a person and now we have to decided on such big, costly ($$) decisions like this. Now, there are people who have to do additional schooling, such as aspiring social workers, doctors, lawyers, nurses, accountants. Their decisions have been made about that. See you guys on the other side. But for the rest of us, we are left with tackling the issue on grad school.

The Ghost of Sallie Mae

There are many pros to starting grad school right away, such as a stronger degree when you get out into the work force and at least a two-year break until Sallie Mae comes knocking at your door. On the other hand, grad school piles on even more debt!  So Sallie Mae may chill from knocking for a minute, but when you finish grad school her knocks will be even louder! Plus there are many people who feel that they should go out and get some work experience (it will also give people a little time to collect some revenue) before they go to grad school.

student-debt

The Little Engine That Could

Going straight through to grad school could be a good idea because you are still in school mode. You’ve just turned in that book of a senior thesis, and how to cite MLA and APA is still fresh in your brain (if it was ever even there in the first place). But in the same case, all those undergrad papers and projects could have fried your brain.  tired-of-school-shutterstock_79744471You might need a little break, a little time for some “I’m finally free” T. L. C. This break, however, could lead to a harder transition back into the classroom.  Or maybe it will be like getting back on a bike, where you just ease back in. With taking time off, you may get a job you can’t leave, or start a family and with that, it is harder to relocate to your dream grad school.

Survey Says:

These are some thoughts that run into my head when “So are you going to grad school?” is asked to me. I could go on all day about the issues that make me go back and forth about master’s programs, but I guess the real answer is that you have to do what works for you. If you want to take a break, that’s fine. Just be ready for those loan repayments and make sure you stay motivated to eventually return back to school.  Try not to let life get in the way (I know, easier said than done right?). If you decided to go straight through, that’s fine, too. Just make sure to develop strategies to keep your brain “un-fried”.  Me,  I probably should just be focusing on graduating undergrad at the moment, but I know the time will go by quickly. Eventually these questions will turn into reality and by then my thoughts will be clearer.

…hopefully.