Za’Taia’s summer in 3 words back to school count down! Determined for Success.

By Alexis Menard On August 31, 2019 11:15 am

Hello everyone! I am Za’Taia Shelby, and I am a junior double majoring in Accounting and Finance.

My 2019 Summer was dedicated to building the foundation to becoming successful in the classroom, employment opportunities, and overall as a person. In life, there are many stepping-stones before you get to the points that you want to reach. This is why this summer I worked 53 hours a week and while being enrolled in spring and summer classes full time. I worked at Dort Federal Credit Union as a Video Teller while also pursuing an Accounting Internship at Amigo Mobility. During the internship, I have worked side by side with the General Accountant which has allowed me to gain experience in various accounting fields. I have worked with accounts payable and receivable, and briefly with creating financial statements.

Even though my schedule was jam packed, I did make time to travel to Las Vegas, Mississippi, and Ohio. In Las Vegas, I attended the National Association of Black Accountants Convention (NABA) with our new student led NABA Chapter at the University of Michigan-Flint. I had over ten interviews with top companies for accounting/finance internships for the summer of 2020. After receiving five internship offers, I have accepted the Internship for the summer of 2020 with Dow Chemical Company. This summer I learned the importance of time management and making sacrifices to better yourself for a great future.

For the fall semester, I am most definitely looking forward to indulging into my BBA courses since these will essentially help me build the skillset for my dream career- Forensic Accountant. Now that I have attended the NABA Convention, I know that I have the constant support from scholars, graduates, or professionals -that have been in my shoes or that are currently in my shoes- to make sure I make it to the top. Therefore, this Fall semester I will reach out to more students with accounting majors so that they can know that they have this support as well.

My advice to all college students is to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. If it’s a course, employment opportunity, or extracurricular activity that you want to pursue but you are nervous about it- put your best foot forward and do your best. Also, never be afraid to ask questions! Whether its questions about cheap textbooks, help with assignments, stuff to do on campus, or tips about surviving college, DO NOT be afraid to ask. By using this advice, it helps make the college experience easier to navigate through so that you can then help the next college student have a smooth college experience.

Lastly, if you’re planning to major in Accounting- join NABA and GO BLUE!