Making Life a Little Easier

In my time here at UM-Flint I’ve discovered and have been let in on a few tips that make college courses a little bit easier.

I’ve got tips in this post for managing your files and printing on campus. If you’ve already got a method that works for you or already know about the things of which I am about to write then more power to you. I don’t know what they teach in orientation these days. 😛

First up is a tip for those of use who bring laptops to school: Use the remote printing website.

Here’s a handy link.

You can only access the print servers, and thus the site, from campus but all you have to do is upload a file to the site then hit up one of the print stations in a lab or the library to print your stuff out. Super easy. If you are printing in black and white, choose the black and white option to be able to print from literally any of the designated print stations on campus, but if you need color you’ll have to select the specific location you’re headed to as they are made distinct.

No more carrying a flashdrive just for printing or using the public computers!

Second tip: Get a Dropbox account.

Stop lugging around an easily lost flashdrive and start putting all your files in the cloud where it’s accessible from any internet-capable device. You can keep the flashdrive with you if you want to be doubly sure of having an important file, but with Dropbox everything you need for classes can be only a few minutes away at any time if you need them.

If you sign up with this referral link we’ll both get an extra 500 MB of storage. (Shameless self-promotion aside Dropbox is generous with space and if you’re just using it for school stuff or keeping your phone’s photo library synced in the cloud you’ll have more than enough wiggle room on space.)

Dropbox pic

It’s also good for group projects since you can create a shared folder and anything you put into it will automatically sync with your friends’ computers and be readily usable by anyone with access.

I hope you can put these tips to good use if you haven’t already figured them out on your own. They’ve made my life exponentially easier, and getting in and out of labs more quickly when you’ve got to make it to a class with an important assignment can only be a good thing!