A Taste of the World

Last week was such a busy week!  Especially on Wednesday because after work I went to the International Taste Fest. Seeing that I work in the International Center, I have had the opportunity to see the Taste Fest come together piece by piece. Through the day, I would see flags come in and out the office, preparations of the food, being introduced to the volunteers, ironing of the traditional clothing, it was an exciting experience.

As the clock stuck 5pm, I quickly bolted from my chair to see all the planning come to life. It was everything I thought it would be. There was music! People! Food! Did I mention food? In the Happenings Room was what seemed like a piece of food from every country. Nachos and salsa, pot stickers, chicken triangles, churosssss yes! Some of the food I didn’t even get to try because it was gone before I got there!  Outside in the lobby there were tables set up with activities. One of the tables were giving people henna tattoos. Though the line was long, it was well worth it, for there were some beautiful results. Another table had people from different countries writing your name in their native language. It was cool to see “Janelle” written in Arabic, Hindu, Korean, and Chinese! A guy at the Chinese writing table told me that the same word can written completely different depending on the gender.  (I feel like we as Americans are the only ones who haven’t hopped on that train yet.) Another area was dedecated to racks and racks of traditional clothing from different countries. Some pieces you were even able to try on.

It was just a nice event that gave a crash course on the different nationalities represented on campus. I even saw people from my office there enjoying the fun as well. I am starting to love going to international events because of all the things you learn. I’m so grateful for my job at the International Center and all the people I have met.  This school year is so far so good!

IMG_20131016_180703