Da dum dum daa….its Super Junior!

Yes you read that correctly.  It’s me, Super Junior. My friend introduced me to the term and now it has become a part of me. I go by Super Junior because every time I tell people that it is my 4th year in college, their faces are overcome with joy and excitement as they high five me and instantly ask me about graduation, plans after school, if I have a job lined up, so on and so forth. So when I tell them, “oh no no no I’m not graduating this year,” the mood in the room instantly changes and I am graced with an “oh…”, drenched in sympathy as if I just told them my dog just died the most painful of deaths.

Do people not realize that college is not just some 1-2-3 step assembly line?? True, there are many people who finish in four years, some finish even quicker than that. To them, I say congrats. As for the rest of us, many things can happen that prolong our college experience. Let it be financial aid woes, changing of majors, availability of classes, updates in degree programs, undecidedness [that’s probably not a word…ahh “indecisiveness”, there we go :)] there are an array of things that can change your “Anticipated Graduation Date.” The point is to not beat yourself up about it but to embrace it because everything happens for a reason. I mean hey, maybe you needed this extra year. I know I did.

I feel like I’m just starting to get my foot in the door here at the university. For me, it’s too soon to call myself a senior because “senior” makes me think of the last hoorah; a reflective time in one’s life. I mean, I feel like I’m just getting started! I have FINALLY completed the horrendous “OMG whyyyy do I need this?!” classes called Gen Eds. Now that I am in my major classes, I am starting to meet faculty that are helping me build myself up to my intended profession, I just got a job on campus [woo woo! I’m not saying just where yet, I’m too new, call me superstitious…merp] and I can use this super junior year to really become a part of my campus. Plus, it has always been a dream of mine to study abroad while in college  [Canada just won’t do]. Every roommate I’ve ever had has done it and now its my turn. Being a upperclassmen, it is almost impossible to study abroad during the fall and winter semesters but having a extra year in school also gives me one last summer!  Summer 2014 Abroad, Here. I .Come!

So when life gives you lemons, “4th year in college but no graduation yet” lemons to be exact… make a glass of Super Junior Lemonade.

It’s quite tasty if you ask me.