Fall Welcome Events

Today’s the day!  Fall classes have finally begun, which means so do all of the university’s welcome events.  Already in the last week, there have been two – Taste of Downtown and New Student Welcome Day & Convocation.  While it’s hard for me to pick which was my favorite, I’d have to go with Taste of Downtown.

Each year, University Outreach hosts their My Flint events, which include Taste of Downtown, Artwalk, Park(ing) Day, 1st Friday of Service, and The Amazing Race Challenge. Last Wednesday as a part of move-in day, Taste of Downtown took place. The entire university was invited to check out some of downtown Flint’s local eateries and get some delicious food in the process.

My tour group at the Lunch Studio and Churchill's

This year, I got to lead a group with my fellow Orientation Leader, Kiaya, and I’d say we had the best tour group ever. We started out at Hoffman’s Deco Deli, which is a five-minute walk from the University Pavilion. They serve great deli sandwiches and frozen yogurt, and you get a 10% discount for being a student! Our next stop was the University Pavilion, where we got to sample sandwiches and cookies from Subway and learn about Jilly’s Pizza, Sportlite Grill, OBlendz, and Oriental Express.

Students enjoying both the staff and the food at the Flint Crepe Company

From there we headed down the street to Blackstone’s and the Flint Crepe Company.  Blackstone’s is an Irish pub and they have a great $5 college menu, including a personal cheese pizza and spinach and artichoke dip.  The Flint Crepe Company featured a great Reuben crepe and a pretty spectacular staff.

Our last three stops were Wize Guys Pizza, the Lunch Studio, and Churchill’s. The pizza was amazing at Wize Guys, as was the chili at the Lunch Studio. At our final stop of the night, Churchill’s, we got to sample two different wraps and homemade chips.  Churchill’s is definitely a college-student favorite with their Thursday college nights and free delivery to both of downtown Flint’s residence halls.

This event is one of my favorites because it’s the one-stop-shop to find out about some great places to eat right next to campus. Plus, who doesn’t like free food?

While I’m sure you’re bummed if you couldn’t make it out last week (because really, who wouldn’t be?), there are still plenty of events in store.  Check out the calendar below!

Thurs, Sept 6 – Greek Block Party
Sat, Sept 8 – Farmers’ Market Frenzy
Tues, Sept 11 – Movie on the Lawn
Thurs, Sept 13 – Welcome Back Picnic
Fri, Sept 14 – My Flint: Artwalk
Fri, Sept 14 – Greek Yardshow & Icebreaker
Wed, Sept 19 – International Taste Fest
Fri, Sept 21 – My Flint: Park(ing) Day
Thurs, Sept 27 – College Humor Comedy Explosion
Fri, Oct 5 – My Flint: 1st Friday of Service
Fri, Oct 12 – My Flint: The Amaizing Race Challenge

Hopefully you can make it out and see Sam, Tolani, Chad, or myself at any of these upcoming events which are sure not to disappoint!