MBA Alumnus uses Financial Skills to Add Value to Post-Acute Care Company: August’s aMaizeing Alumni

By Alexis Menard On August 21, 2020 3:30 pm

McCoy Wilson, MBA ’14

Alumnus, McCoy Wilson graduated from UM-Flint with his Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in Finance in 2014. During his time at UM-Flint, he was apart of diverse student organizations, such as Black Student Union and InterVasity. McCoy is a Sales Operations Financial Manager and played a key role in his company by creating and implementing a new data reporting program. As our featured Alumni of the month, McCoy gives insight into his experience with student organizations, career advice, and his future travel plans to Spain!

Q: Degree(s) and graduation year:
A: MBA in Finance (2014)

Q: Where are you currently working and your title? How long have you been in this position or at this organization? What is your normal day to day?
A: I’m currently working at Encompass Health, Dallas, Texas as Sales Operations Financial Manager. I have been with Encompass Health for 3 years. I oversee the design and distribute compensation plans, report payout data, and ensure timely and accurate compensation. I create and manage reports, forecasts, metrics and dashboards for our sales team.

Q: Why did you choose UM-Flint for your degree(s)?
A: Both the academic reputation of the School of Management and the school’s vast alumni network influenced my decision.

Q: What is one of your favorite experiences at UM-Flint?
A: I lived on campus for a year and I enjoyed the various student activities. I was a member of InterVasity student organization and the African Students Union. Being around such a diverse population of students was both exciting and somewhat of a cultural shock for me.

It was awesome to meet, interact and collaborate with people of different backgrounds, ethnicities and beliefs. And that’s an important aspect of higher education – the ability to learn from many others who bring their own personal and cultural experiences to the table for the benefit of alls.

Q: Why did you choose to go into the career path you are currently in?
A: I was drawn to this career path because it appeals to my passion and proclivity for management and strategy, data and analytics. Undoubtedly, the School of Management’s classes introduced me to concepts and skills that prepared me for this.

Q: What is one of your proudest accomplishments so far?
A: I played a key role in creating and implementing a new data reporting program which is currently being used to ensure timely and accurate compensation.

Q: What advice would you give students that are thinking of pursuing a career in your field?
A: Always look for the opportunity to interact and learn from other students and faculty. I benefited a lot from the virtues of group work. These smaller group settings provide platforms that stimulate creativity and intellectual curiosity.

My job as a Sales Operations Financial Manager is based on my communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills, and working with different groups on class projects was fundamental to the development of these skills.

Q: Fun Facts!
A: I am making plans to visit the Camp Nou soccer stadium in Barcelona, Spain next year. Camp Nou is the largest stadium in Europe with a seating capacity of 99,354. I really hope my team, FC Barcelona, wins on the day I visit. That would make my experience more memorable.