From Finance to Accounting, How One Graduate Sought Change: December’s aMAIZEing Alumni

By Alexis Menard On December 9, 2019 1:00 pm

Maxwell Montney, BBA ’18 in Finance

Alumnus, Maxwell Montney, received his BBA in Finance and a minor in Economics in April 2018. Maxwell has been working for at the University of Michigan-Flint in the Financial Services & Budget department for over a year as an Accountant. This fall, he decided to start his MBA in Organizational Leadership at the School of Management. As our featured Alumnus, Maxwell will provide insight into why he transitioned to the accounting field, his favorite experiences from UM-Flint, and advice about pursuing a career in business.

Why did you choose UM-Flint for your BBA?

I chose UM-Flint due to three reasons. It was close to home, which helped me save money. I liked the fact that there are smaller class sizes, which allowed for more interaction with faculty members. And lastly, the opportunities and resources students have access to. Multiple companies are looking to hire UM-Flint students and graduates. Antonio Riggs, Student Services Coordinator, is a great resource and connection to have after graduation. Antonio is great at his job and loves helping students.

What is one of your favorite experiences at UM-Flint?

I would have to say taking a trip with the School of Management to the Federal Reserve in Detroit was my favorite experience. Seeing how that place operates was fascinating. If anyone ever gets the chance to go, I would highly recommend it.

Secondly, the School of Management hosts Alumni Evenings or networking dinners. I have had a great time reconnecting with faculty and a variety of SOM alumni at these events. They are typically Friday evenings so it’s easy to go to their events right after work.

Why did you choose to go into the career path you are currently in?

I always knew I wanted to work with numbers, and I have a passion for helping individuals and organizations meet their financial goals. My undergraduate concentration was Finance, but I currently work as an Accountant for the University of Michigan – Flint. The nice thing about an Accounting or Finance degree is that it can allow for movement between each field. This is sometimes true, but it’s not always the case. I had an internship in college where I learned a lot about the importance of analyzing and organizing data. With these skills and the information I learned in the classroom, I was able to apply it to my current position at UM-Flint.

What is one of your proudest accomplishments so far?

My proudest accomplishment would have to be the day I graduated. Walking across the stage and receiving my degree was a feeling unlike any other. I recently began pursuing my MBA, so I hope to capture that feeling again someday.

What advice would you give students that are thinking of pursuing a career in Business? 

Business is a broad field, so I can confidently say that you need to get out of your comfort zone. Most of you won’t find what you truly enjoy doing without some trial and error along the way. Don’t be afraid to fail, and if you do, turn it into a learning experience that will hone your skills and abilities. 

What would you like to see happen to UM-Flint/Flint within the next five years?

I would ultimately like to see Flint and UM-Flint grow simultaneously. Many people have been trying to create positive change throughout the city over the last few years, and the university is a great ally in this effort.

Fun Facts!

I love visiting the U.P. and traveling to new places. My most recent vacation this year was to Maine over the summer and it had plenty of great views, including Acadia National Park. I’m also a huge supporter of all things UofM when it comes to sports. Go blue!