Austin’s summer in 10 words back to school count down! Financial Aid Intern. Social Media Management. Taking initiative. New experiences.

By Alexis Menard On August 24, 2019 9:15 am

Greetings, my name is Austin McIntosh and I am a junior studying for a Finance Major.

During the 2019 Summer, I interned for the University of Michigan – Flint’s Office of Financial Aid. This internship was a mixture of finance, accounting, and analysis, three critical skills required to go into the Financial Analyst field. Throughout this internship, I worked with the office accountant with payroll, payroll reconciliation, and communicating on reconciling outstanding issues. I also took the reins on the office’s social media accounts and helped bring it back to relevance. Among my responsibilities I also created the budgets for the 2019-2020 Study Abroad trips. Taking on projects that taught me new skills in Microsoft Excel and even Access was critical for me to prepare for the future.

For the upcoming Fall Semester, I am very excited about taking actual in-depth BBA courses because I am now taking that classes where I hope to learn the skillset to take into my future career – Financial Analysis. I am also very excited about lifting the Financial Management Association off the ground and making it more relevant than what it used to be.

Since I have been in the Financial Aid world for a good chunk of time, my biggest suggestions are to complete your FAFSA as early as you can, take advantage of on-campus employment, and over budget yourself for upcoming semesters. Preparing and having a larger expected tuition and book expense will pay its dividends later on down the road. GO BLUE!