Public Health & Health Sciences Blog

The Healthcare Administration Student Organization (HASO) recruited 62 potential donors during their “Be the Match” bone marrow/stem cell registry drive last week. The group partnered with Michigan Blood to recruit potential donors to a nationwide registry used to match patients in need of blood stem cell (marrow) transplants with compatible donors. Close to 30 HASO and Golden Key International Honour Society volunteers gathered at three locations on campus to collect cheek swabs and  help potential donors fill out registration paperwork. “I was really impressed with the turnout, that we had so many people volunteer and so much support from the University. I really hope we can do this again next year!” said Denise Martin, HASO president.

Bone marrow transplants are a vital treatment option for patients with leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood diseases. Only 30% of patients needing bone marrow transplants find a match within their family, the other 70% rely on the “Be the Match” registry to pair them with a compatible donor. Learn more about the registry and bone marrow transplants at