Graduate Programs

Blogs from students, faculty & staff

Kirah Osentoski

Kirah Osentoski is graduating from the Masters of Physician Assistant Studies this term! We took a few minutes to get to know her more.

What has been your favorite class?

My favorite class during the didactic portion of PA school was patient evaluation. Learning the hands-on skills to apply my knowledge in clinical practice was so fun. We individually were taught the physical exam and special testing for each body system: Ears, Eyes, Nose & Throat, cardio, pulm, etc. Learning how to do a fundoscopic exam of the eyes was by far one of the hardest yet most fascinating skills.

What did you study as an undergrad?

I graduated from Central Michigan University in December of 2020 with a Bachelors Degree in Exercise Science Kinesiology with a minor in Leadership

What has been your favorite assignment so far?

Our Physician Assistant program strives to produce PAs who are not only exemplary practitioners but also advocates for the profession and public health. With that being said, my favorite assignment during PA school was my leadership and advocacy project. In collaboration with two other PA students, we educated the medically underserved population of Genesee County on Hypertension (HTN), the long-term effects of undiagnosed/treated HTN, and what steps can be taken to prevent, lower, or treat elevated/high blood pressure. Being able to directly impact the 113 community members who participated in our event furthered my passion and commitment to being an active community advocate.

What do you prefer studying within your program?

My favorite areas that I have studied and completed clinical rotations in are family medicine, pediatrics, OBGYN, Aesthetics and Emergency medicine. Throughout my PA career I will continue to study the constant changes and evolutions made in medicine to allow the best care for my patients.

What’s been your overall favorite experience in your program?

My favorite experience so far in the program was attending the Michigan Academy of Physician Associates Fall conference for the last time as a student. Gathering with fellow classmates, colleagues, and PA’s from across Michigan to attend lectures and workshops to increase and enhance knowledge was so fun. Being a part of MAPA quiz bowl was so exciting and memorable. My friends and I were also able to explore Traverse City on the MAPA wine tour. I can’t wait to attend these types of conferences as a practicing PA.

Where do you like to study best?

My favorite study place on campus is in the study rooms on the fourth floor of the William S White building. When it is warm, and the sun is out, I love to study outside on the deck at my house.

Any advice for students considering grad school?

Take the leap of faith and believe in yourself. Throughout the course of a few years, you will grow and learn so much. Be diligent and work hard; you will only benefit from doing so. Take time to enjoy the journey to becoming what you set out to be.