Graduate Programs

Blogs from students, faculty & staff

Welcome back to another Graduate Student Spotlight! Today’s spotlight is on Molly Cope, who is studying for her Master of Science in Nursing as a Family Nurse Practitioner! Molly is a dedicated student, having studied Psychology and Nursing in her undergraduate education. She started her undergrad at Miami University for Psychology, following it with Nursing at Grand Valley State University. Molly is a passionate learner, her favorite class being so far Advanced Pathophysiology, appreciating both her excellent professors and the interesting material in the class! Molly enjoys applying what she’s learned in the field, and using those experiences to build on her knowledge base, training to meet her full potential. Thank you for participating in the Spotlight, Molly! We’re so excited to hear from you– here’s what Molly had to say about her experiences herself: 

What has been your favorite assignment so far?

Probably my Pathophysiology of Heart Failure paper; I have a background in heart failure from a previous position as a nurse, so delving deep into the topic and the pathophysiologic causes of the disease was both fascinating and informative.  Plus, I got an A on the paper, so I must have understood it fairly well!

What do you prefer studying within your program?

I love problem solving as a nurse and studying the differential diagnosis and possibilities as to why someone would both develop certain disease processes.  I also love the challenge of figuring out what may be causing a sign/symptom/disease using what I’ve learned in all of my classes so far as well as real-world experience.  They don’t call it “practicing medicine” for nothing!

What’s been your overall favorite experience in your program?

Since I study remotely (all on-line from the other side of the state), I would say it’s been the zoom calls and all-class discussions with my professors to better my understanding of what I’m learning during a given semester.  It’s fun to put names to faces so it feels more personal and interactive.

Where do you like to study best?

At home, on my couch or office.

Any advice for students considering grad school?

It is not as scary as undergrad was! I would say grad school is tough, but absolutely do-able with a family and full-time job.  If you have a desire to further your education and make a difference in your field of study while becoming a leader, grad school is absolutely something you should consider.  University of Michigan-Flint has been fantastic in helping make my dream of becoming a Nurse Practitioner a reality (slowly, but surely) and I look forward to finishing my degree in April 2025 and walking across that stage proudly sporting my maize and blue hood!