Infinity or Null

Climbing aboard my airship, launched form the ground, not knowing if I’ll ever come back. Too many cats on my tail. Yesterday was a blast, but I packed my bags. All I had to do was pilot forward. Goggles secure to keep my eyes from burning out upon reentry, scarf wrapped around my head, this madness grows fonder.

Passenger Zero all dressed up, ready for take off.

Tell all the rats I’m gonna miss them terrible. Running my fingers over the smooth controls of this sleek machine. Switching 2A into 3B with hydro-dynamitic overdrive, watching the stars fly by.

Skipping along the Milky Way in one fine vessel, searching. All I could ever desire contained in a capsule out there somewhere, just waiting to be got. Personalized and custom. To possess the very meaning, immortal and sane.

That’s how I found myself searching for it.

Fighting my way through a myriad of worms and bishops and phony husks. So many phony husks. I made my mistakes. Cruising along, it sounds like this ship might rattle loose, but there’ll be no failing now, she’s been a faithful companion, a character in this epic romance.

This ship is gonna crash and nobody knows when. This ship is heading straight for the big star, headed to be swallowed by the universe. A handful of random notes in a homemade music box. It’s time to attack infinity. Shouldn’t there be a prayer? Feels like so much falling. It was too easy to take the shortcut. It almost worked. Almost.

***

By Jesse Malouf, UM-Flint Senior & Education Student