Before I even knew you: a tribute to Angela Davis

Written by Brittini Ward

Before I even knew of you, you had already had an influence on my life.

As a child, I would find myself quick to throw on a fake afro and throw up the black power fist for fun.

Mimicking glimpses of what I never thought that I’d become.

I would hear my dad jokingly calling me a young revolutionary. Even though my only audience of influence was found at the outsiders lunch table.

I would find myself sharpening my ear to the voice of indie guitar players who spoke of self-empowerment and standing up for what was right regardless of who followed behind.

You helped me to connect with my father.

As my sister asked for the latest Usher CD I asked him for his latest collection of Badu or anything relating to what I now know as “Black Empowerment”

Back then if you asked me, I had no idea why I did these things or held them so close as my values, I just loved it.

Perhaps it was that one movie on Black Entertainment Television I found myself watching when no one was looking, or maybe it was that one month out the year where the color of my skin seemed to be glorified?

No! Before I even knew of you, you had already had an influence on my life.

For you are the living essence of my ancestry. Dropping hints here and there and appearing just when the time was right! Just when you knew Injustice was about to put up a fight!

You have replaced the false ideals of my juvenile education that was cramped into one chapter of my history book. You have type “keep going, keep pushing” blood

Now, I know why I hold my fist so High! Because if I held it any closer to the ground my stance would be mistaken for giving in. Now I know why I would rather have bold kinks because my roots are connected by the strongest of links.

Thank you for carrying out the legacy, in a system that pushes you to do otherwise, other wise MEN would tell me to sit down and be a lady! But you have shown me that a woman is just as strong in the front line as they would like her to be in the back with the paperwork.

Be quiet! Why you always so angry? They say. Smile more! They say.

I smile when I no longer have a reason to lay on the cold ground to prove a point!

Your passion has backed up my words, my purpose.

The deeper I grab things by the roots the more minds I have to liberate. I have to liberate. I have to liberate!

Before I even knew of you, you had already had an influence on my life, for it is the very spirit of your activism that can only add to the perseverance of mine.

Thank you for not giving up!

Brittini Ward is a Senior at UM-Flint, Professional Communication and Graphic Design