Blogging from South Africa — Student Megan Cooper

Submitted by University of Michigan-Flint student and biology major, Megan Cooper of Flint. This July 2016 trip is connected with a University of Michigan-Flint International and Global Studies (IGS) study abroad course: Rethinking Social Development in Southern Africa.

Megan3

Megan Cooper spends quality time with children in South Africa.

For the past week we have been waking up and going into a village named Healdtown, a place where most people haven’t left the village and most likely never will. Can you imagine not knowing when you’ll get your next meal? What it’s like to sleep on the floor of your home because your family doesn’t have any mattresses? This is the reality for the people living in this area. When we see things like this on television or news, it seems hard to believe that there are people still living like this today and, until I saw it with my own eyes, I still didn’t believe it.

This week we have been working with kids and adults at a camp focusing on Ubuntu, Xhosa meaning, “I am, because you are.” Through numerous activities including poetry and spoken word for the adults, paintings, drawings, and games for the kids, we have tried to not only define but also embrace the meaning of Ubuntu.

Megan2

UM-Flint students enjoyed interacting with residents in an arts camp.

For me, today was the day I realized not only why I was on the trip, but how important Ubuntu really is. One of the children, a girl named Lithemba, whom I connected with quickly, gave me a note after a day of games, drawings and bracelet making. It reads: “Dear Megan, Thank you for teaching me how to make a bangle (bracelet) out of wool. You taught me things I wanted to do a long time and I write this to say thank you for today’s time and I want to say I love you with all my heart and I will join in next time too.”

As I reflected on my time, I realized my purpose for coming on this trip was to make others feel like I had always wanted, to know that there is someone else in this world who loves and cares about you. This girl has only known me for a day, and she felt such a connection to me and has given me a memento that I will cherish forever. To know that there will always been someone out there that I’ve made a positive impact on, is the best opportunity I could’ve asked for.

Megan1

UM-Flint students helped children make crafts and joined in many creative activities.