Alternative Spring Break 2014

Adam WeidmanMy name is Adam Weidman. I am a junior here at the University of Michigan-Flint studying Nuclear Engineering and Physics as part of the 2 + 2 transfer program between UM-Flint and UM-Ann Arbor. This is my third year serving on the University of Michigan-Flint’s Alternative Spring Break board. Some of the non-profit organizations I have served alongside in the Flint area include Carriage Town Ministries, Salem Housing, Genesee County Land Bank, King’s Karate, Beecher 9th Grade Academy, Boy and Girls Club of Flint, and Flint River Farm.

I chose to participate in ASB as a board member because, as an Eagle Scout and a Vigil Honor Member in the Order of the Arrow Leadership in Service, this is how we should live our lives. There are multiple local agencies here in Flint whose main goal is helping the people who are struggling in the city. These agencies don’t have a ton of resources, especially people to help volunteer. So taking one week and spending it, instead of partying or going away for spring break, volunteering alongside community leaders giving back to the city of Flint is the least I can do. Flint has been good to me these past three years and I am glad to leave her in a better place each year.

Guest blogger Adam Weidman is a junior at UM-Flint, and a board member for Alternative Spring Break.  

University of Michigan-Flint’s Alternative Spring Break program enables students to learn about issues such as homelessness, poverty, hunger, violence, environmental issues, and complex social and cultural issues. Students will listen to and understand community needs and continue a commitment to community service and social change. This month, the Students@UM-Flint blog will feature posts from students in the program.