The Importance of Having a Hobby in College

My beauty blog, microscopebeauty.com

My beauty blog, microscopebeauty.com

Although I’ve graduated from college I by no means feel like I’m an expert at how to traverse the years of college successfully. However there’s one thing I’d recommend to anyone looking for some good college survival tips. Of course I’m a strong advocate of the usual advice (get involved, find what study habits work for you, etc.), but I find something else equally important. Hobbies. I know college can be stressful, packed with things to do, and just overall a scheduling nightmare, but one thing that really helped keep me relaxed was my hobby. I run a beauty blog in my free time that I’ve since began posting on daily, but back in college I posted about once or twice a week. I set time aside to take photos and write posts and it was incredibly nice to do something I wanted to do for myself.

Me disc golfing for the first time last summer!

I know keeping a hobby isn’t the easiest thing to do and can fall to the wayside of other responsibilities, but remembering and actively seeking out time to do something for yourself—be it scrapbooking, disc golfing, what have you—can really lower your stress levels, keep you creative, and make you an overall a happier person. Plus it helps make you a more well-rounded person. You have interests outside of school, have things to talk about, and gain different skills and abilities you won’t necessarily get from classes.

So pick up that guitar you used to play or find something new to fall in love with.