New Year, Same Old Lazy Me

The new year has been in effect for about three weeks now and I’m realizing that I have completely dropped the ball. Shoot, I’m starting to think I never even had the ball in the first place! You know everyone, including myself, wakes up December 31st with positive thinking about the New Year and their plans to change for the better.  As of now, I’m pretty much sucking at that. I barely make it to the gym, rush to finish homework assignments, eat like a pig or get so ‘busy’ that I don’t eat at all! I want to blame the snow days we were “blessed” with at the beginning of the semester for getting me off track but that is not mature of me at all.  I must take accountability for my New Year laziness.

I looked at my grade of one of my classes (yes, we already have grades smh) and I just popped up out of my chair like, “Alright something’s got to give! Because this isn’t going to work, Janelle” (and yes, I talk to myself…don’t act like you haven’t). I’m sure some of you can relate to this. You had it in your head all late last year that you were going to change with those handy dandy new year resolutions of yours. You were so sure that this year was going to be different that as the clock struck 12 on January 1st, your new mantra became “New Year, New Me.” But real talk, it’s probably just the same old you, if not worse because you probably had all these high expectations for self like:

1. Going to the gym
  2. Eating better
  3. Being more social
  4. Getting better grades
  5. Being a better person

…and you’re probably sucking at most or all of them right now, like me. The truth is the people who are really changing are the people who didn’t wait for the New Year to start living better; they just did it right away. New Year resolutions can help put your life in perceptive but in all honesty, it’s just a way to put off things you need to do—a way to still overindulge on that Thanksgiving/ Christmas/Hanukkah /Kwanzaa/“Whatever you want to call it” meal before you start “working out” in January so you can be sexy-smexy for the summer (I know I’m talking to you).

Real talk, if you want to change your appearance, or your grades, or your attitude, just start doing it the moment you think about it. That’s all it takes. Even baby steps are steps in the right direction. So that’s what I’m doing, starting by getting back in sync with writing these blogs. They’re not just for you to read but somewhat therapeutic for the person writing them. I hope you all enjoyed and will follow my journey on the road on being a better me …basically not sucking.

Be better today than you were yesterday! Toodles!