"Hello" from Kirk

Kirk AllenGreat to meet you! Shouldn’t you be on BlackBoard? Just kidding, I’m not on it either, so we’re good. If you’re a professor reading this, my computer broke and it will be fixed in three days. I’m just kidding again. I always get my homework done first before I do anything else. Don’t you?

I’m a “longer than most” student at the University of Michigan-Flint, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. I started out after high school as a General Business major because I was unsure of what I wanted to do in life. Business is everywhere, so why not try that route? I enjoyed the classes and did well, but once I took my first Accounting class I made the change of majors into something I was passionate about. Teaching. I have a year left of classes and student teaching to do before my time here at UM-Flint is done.

In the meantime, I’m the standing President of the Men’s Ice Hockey club here on campus and that takes up a big part of my time. My first two years on the team we won just a measly two games. This past year was my last season as a goaltender on the team and we lost in the National Championship game. Quite the turn of events, eh? The hockey team on campus is a great bunch of guys. I’m sure I’ll be giving you a lot of updates on the team’s progress this year. Come to a game sometime, you’ll enjoy it I promise.

My summer was the busiest I’ve had yet! I started an internship with Reebok-CCM Hockey as a Goalie Advisor. Basically, I go to events and represent the company while helping fit kids in gear. I get to travel a lot because of it and I give the company a lot of feedback about market trends and so forth. I should’ve stayed in Business right? Oh well, that’s life. I’m out chasing the things I love everyday, and I love that once I graduate I may have the option to choose between two things I love. How many people can say that? When I wasn’t busy with my internship I was coaching youth hockey. I spent probably 600 hours at the rink coaching this past summer alone. It’s a blessing. I also kick-started my cable television acting career this summer. Ever hear of the new AMC Series called “Low Winter Sun?” I got the chance to be an extra with some of my friends a few weeks ago down in Detroit. If you couldn’t already guess my role, it was as a hockey player. But more on that another time.

Lastly, I spent the last two weeks of the summer studying abroad at Utrecht University in the Netherlands as a part of the Education Program. It was my second time going there, I could talk for hours about it. Keep up with my blog and I’ll tell you all about it!

Thanks for peeking in on my life as a student at UM-Flint for just a minute. I look forward to sharing more with you as the year goes on. Best of luck with your first few weeks of classes and hopefully I’ll bump into you! Go ahead, get back to BlackBoard now.