Give a Little, Get a Lot

During high school, I volunteered with a couple of different organizations and it was a blast, but coming in as a freshman, I wondered if I would be able to be as involved as I was before. I’d never been to Flint before, so I wasn’t familiar with the area at all. Luckily, there are a ton of opportunities to volunteer right here in our own backyard at UM-Flint and some of the offices here make it really easy to connect you to these organizations.

University Outreach is a great first stop to get involved in Flint, and how I got connected to the Salvation Army. They host an event twice a semester called First Friday of Service. As the name implies, you go out and do service on the first Friday of the month. They bring in different community partners to let you know how you can get involved with their organization and the difference that you can make with them and in the community. I got to hear from groups like King Karate, the Salvation Army, and Habitat for Humanity. Afterward, we went to Whaley Park and did some clean up along the river.

Serving food at the North End Soup Kitchen

This was a really great opportunity for me to meet other people interested in getting involved on and around campus, and it connected me to an organization that I’ve volunteered with for the last two years. After hearing about some of the programs hosted by the Salvation Army, I signed up to help out with their After-School Program on Fridays. They bring in kids from the local elementary and middle schools for two hours each weekday and do a lot of different activities. This could be anything from arts and crafts, computer time, kickball, puzzles, and of course the kids’ favorite – homework. It’s been a great experience for the last two years to watch the kids grow up and hear about how their days are at school. I’ve also been able to help out with regular events that they have like the Christmas Assistance Program, their Mass Food Distribution project, and Christmas in July. That one step I took as a freshman connected me to a lot of different opportunities to volunteer in the city, and I’ve been able to meet some really cool people.

Do you want to volunteer in Flint, but you don’t know where? I’ve put together a map of just a few places around the city that are always looking for volunteers.
Volunteer in Flint!

If you don’t find what suits your interests, check out any of these websites where you’re able to search by location and field.
HandsOn Genesee
Resource Genesee
Volunteer Match

Lastly, don’t forget to RSVP for First Friday of Service on October 5!