Living On Campus

The first day of classes is fast approaching and with that comes the time to move back to campus. While Saginaw is only a quick 40-minute drive from UM-Flint, I wanted the chance to get out on my own and immerse myself into college life as completely as I could, which is why I’ve chosen to live in our First Street Residence Hall since my first year.

Living on campus is one of my favorite aspects of being at college. It’s definitely a plus for me to be so close to everything; whatever I want is less than 15 minutes away, be it the mall, a grocery store, or a movie theater. Being in downtown Flint brings us close to some great restaurants and events, too.

It’s also a bonus to be so close to my classes, especially when that five-minute snooze on the alarm clock turns into 30 minutes.  And there have been times when I’ve forgotten an assignment in my room. Luckily, being right across the street from my classes means that I have time to run back to my room and get back to class with time to spare.

Just one perk of being at First Street: apartment-style living!

I’d say that we’re spoiled at First Street, too. There aren’t community bathrooms like at other schools, so no fighting with 30 other people for three showers. We’ve also got living rooms and full kitchens – definitely perks I don’t take for granted when talking to friends who go to other schools! It’s nice to have a space I can call my own and still get to hang out with suitemates.

Since living in First Street, I’ve had the chance to meet so many people who are doing all kinds of things across campus. I like the fact that living on campus creates a sense of community – there’s always someone around to talk to or hang out whenever you want, and there are always events happening in the hall, be it from the Resident Advisors or the Hall Council. Living on campus has truly given me the opportunity to make some great friends and has given me a place I’m happy to call home.