October a-MAIZE-ing Alumni: Jack Pietras, 23′, Continues to Climb as Lead Marketer

In 2023, Jack Pietras graduated from the School of Management with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing. Today, he’s the Senior Marketing Manager at Ease Seating Systems.

Jack Pietras poses against a cement column wearing a striped green and white button down t-shirt smiling to camera.

But the journey towards his current role wasn’t a short one- Pietras has been building his skills one job after the other, and this included working full-time while attending UM-Flint. Pietras credits the real-world business education at SOM and many technical skills learned as instrumental as he moved into his new career.

One of our favorite pieces of advice he shared for current students or recent grads interested in marketing was, “Building relationships with professionals in the field is crucial. Attend industry events, join marketing associations, and connect with peers on LinkedIn. Networking can lead to mentorship opportunities and job referrals.”

Thank you, Jack; we wish you nothing but the best as you continue to climb the marketing ladder!

If you’re interested in learning more about Pietras’s story, please continue to read his full Q&A below for more tips and advice to help you along your path.

Q: Where are you currently working and your title? How long have you been in this position or at this organization? 
A: I currently work as the Senior Marketing Manager at Ease Seating Systems. I have been working here for 8 months.

Q: What is your job like day to day?
A: As a Senior Marketing Manager, my day-to-day typically involves a blend of strategic planning, team collaboration, and project oversight. I usually start my mornings with team check-ins to discuss ongoing projects and priorities. From there, I focus on refining our marketing strategies based on performance data and market trends.

Collaboration is key, so I work closely with cross-functional teams—like sales and product development—to ensure our marketing efforts align with broader business goals. I also oversee the creation of marketing materials, ensuring they are consistent with our brand and messaging.

Monitoring active campaigns is another critical part of my role. I track KPIs and adjust tactics as needed to optimize performance. Budget management is essential as well, making sure we allocate resources effectively across various initiatives.

I also dedicate time to mentoring my team members, helping them grow professionally. Staying updated on industry trends and conducting market research informs our future strategies. Lastly, I prepare reports for stakeholders to showcase the impact of our initiatives and propose future directions.

Each day can vary, but this mix of responsibilities helps drive our marketing success.

Q: What is the most important thing you learned while you were at UM-Flint? 
A: The most important thing I learned is the value of adaptability and resilience. Balancing my studies with a full-time job taught me how to manage my time effectively and navigate challenges. This experience helped me develop problem-solving skills and a proactive mindset, which are essential in both academic and professional settings. Overall, the lessons in adaptability and resilience have been invaluable as I continue to face new challenges in my career.

Q: How did your education at UM-Flint prepare you for what you are doing today?
A: My education has been instrumental in preparing me for my current job by providing a solid foundation of knowledge and skills relevant to my field. The coursework equipped me with essential theoretical concepts and practical applications, enhancing my problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.

Additionally, group projects and presentations helped develop my collaboration and communication skills, which are crucial in a team-oriented work environment. The experience I gained through internships and hands-on projects allowed me to apply what I learned in real-world settings, making the transition to my job much smoother. Overall, my education not only gave me the technical skills I needed but also instilled a strong work ethic and adaptability that I rely on daily.

Q: Can you describe your career path?
A: My career path has been a dynamic journey, starting as a restaurant server at Little Joe’s Tavern for six years. This experience taught me valuable skills in customer service, teamwork, and multitasking, all of which laid a strong foundation for my future roles.

After my time in the restaurant industry, I transitioned to an E-Commerce Sales Specialist at Rankin Biomedical. Here, I honed my skills in online sales and digital marketing, gaining insights into consumer behavior and the importance of effective online presence.

I then co-founded a marketing agency, AMG Moon, where I could apply my passion for marketing in a hands-on way. This role allowed me to collaborate with diverse clients and develop innovative strategies to help them succeed in a competitive landscape.

Currently, I serve as the Senior Marketing Manager at Ease Seating Systems. In this position, I leverage my background in sales and marketing to drive impactful campaigns and lead a talented team. Each step of my career has built on the last, equipping me with a unique blend of skills and experiences that I continue to apply in my current role.

Q: Why did you choose to go into the career path you are currently in?
A: I chose marketing because it allows me to blend creativity with strategy, which I find incredibly fulfilling. I’ve always been drawn to the challenge of understanding consumer behavior and finding innovative ways to engage audiences. Marketing enables me to tell compelling stories and connect businesses with their customers in meaningful ways.

Additionally, the ever-evolving nature of the marketing landscape excites me. It’s a field where I can continuously learn and adapt, whether through new digital tools, emerging trends, or shifts in consumer preferences. Ultimately, I love the impact that effective marketing can have on a business’s success, and I’m passionate about being part of that process.

Q: What advice would you give current students or recent graduates interested in pursuing a career in your professional field?
A: First, gain practical experience through internships, part-time jobs, or volunteer opportunities. Applying what you’ve learned in real-world settings is invaluable, so look for experiences in areas like social media, content creation, or sales.

Next, network actively. Building relationships with professionals in the field is crucial. Attend industry events, join marketing associations, and connect with peers on LinkedIn. Networking can lead to mentorship opportunities and job referrals.

It’s also essential to stay informed about industry trends, tools, and best practices. Marketing is constantly evolving, so read blogs, attend webinars, and follow thought leaders to keep your knowledge current.

Embrace both creativity and analytics. A successful marketer needs a balance of creative and analytical skills, so develop your ability to analyze data while also honing your creative thinking.

Additionally, be adaptable. The marketing landscape changes quickly, so being open to learning new skills and adjusting to new technologies and strategies is key.

Cultivating soft skills like communication, teamwork, and problem-solving is also important. These skills complement your technical knowledge and are crucial in a collaborative environment.

Lastly, follow your passion. Identify which aspects of marketing excite you the most—whether it’s digital marketing, branding, or market research—and pursue opportunities in those areas. Your enthusiasm will drive your success.

Q: Fun Facts you want to share?

A: My long-term goals include advancing my career in marketing to take on more leadership roles, such as a Director of Marketing or Chief Marketing Officer. I aim to continue developing innovative strategies that drive business growth and enhance brand visibility.