Specialty Pharmacy Professional Reflects on MBA Experience: April’s aMaizeing Alumni

Alumnus, Mohamed Gothamy, received his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the UM-Flint School of Management in 2015. Mohamed is a Manager of Specialty Pharmacy Services at Comprehensive Pharmacy Services. He oversees specialty pharmacy operations and works closely with reimbursement specialists from drug companies to secure financial assistance to patients in need.

As our featured Alumni of the month, Mohamed gives advice for students thinking about pursuing graduate school, why he went into the pharmacy field and his favorite memories about UM-Flint!

Q: Degree(s) and graduation year:
Bachelors of Pharmacy, Cairo University, 2008
MBA, University of Michigan-Flint, 2015
Doctor of Pharmacy, Shenandoah University, 2018

Q: Where are you currently working and your title? How long have you been in this position or at this organization? What is your normal day to day?
A: I work for Comprehensive Pharmacy Services. CPS is a national leader in providing Pharmacy solutions to independent hospitals, Healthcare systems, and specialized healthcare facilities. CPS partners with Memorial Healthcare in Owosso, MI to provide Specialty Pharmacy Services. In my role as Manager of Specialty Pharmacy Services, I supervise all aspects of specialty pharmacy operations that are offered to Memorial healthcare patients system-wide.

My daily tasks are diverse in nature and wide in scope. I hold meetings with practice managers, physicians, and medical assistants to expand specialty pharmacy services to their clinics and work with pharmaceutical companies to gain and maintain access to limited distribution drugs. Along with my team members, I also work with reimbursement specialists from those drug companies to secure financial assistance to patients in need. Staffing for the specialty pharmacy program is another core component of my daily routine to guarantee efficient workflow and a timely dispensing of those expensive medications to patients who need them.

With the guidance of our Director of Accreditation, our specialty program has achieved a dual specialty accreditation from ACHC and URAC. Maintaining both highly regarded certifications requires a lot of work to stay abreast of all quality metrics, hence, I chair the quality management committee to keep track of the quality of services provided. Meanwhile, I serve as the senior clinical leader of the specialty pharmacy program.

Q: Why did you choose UM-Flint for your degree(s)?
A: The University of Michigan name has a gravity to it. It’s synonymous with high academic standards coupled with a world-class education and offered by professors who are experts in their given fields. It was a privilege to be a graduate student at UM-Flint and learning from its esteemed faculty.

Q: What is one of your favorite experiences at UM-Flint?
A: I’ve had so many positive experiences, it’s hard to pick just one. I really enjoyed having one-to-one discussions with my professors to further enhance my understanding of the subject matter. The Recreation Center resources helped me stay fit at no extra cost. Utilizing the swimming pool along with cross-fit classes was such an advantage. The Thompson library’s extended hours allowed me to focus and complete my studies in a timely manner.

Q: Why did you choose to go into the career path you are currently in?
A: Since a young age, I had a clear passion for medicine and chemistry. Pharmacy incorporated both and is also an applicable science. I see it in action affecting people’s health outcomes on daily basis.

Good management can make positive change that eventually benefits all stakeholders of any enterprise. I was deeply influenced by one of my professors of pharmacology who was an expert in his field and a gifted leader. When he became the dean of the school, I could see progress, vision and how good management can make an impact. Advancing my career to pursue pharmacy management is inspired by a vision of promoting positive outcomes in my own circle.

Q: What is one of your proudest accomplishments so far?
A: Choosing the best life partner. My wife is the biggest support I have. She stood by me every step of my career.

Q: What advice would you give students that are thinking of pursuing a career in your field?
A: Follow your passion and always understand, analyze and keep track of your market trends. Before you invest in a graduate degree, be true to yourself in outlining what you want to accomplish with that investment. Also, listen to people who have achieved what you strive toward, particularly those on the same path as you but 5-7 years ahead.

Q: Fun Facts!
A: I’m a committed Wolverine. I have U of M shirts, socks, pants, hats, gloves, hoodies, jackets, and notebooks. My son’s teddy bear has a Michigan shirt.