The Italian Way of Life

We’ve discovered a great way to eat with a large group of people that makes the restaurants happy too – family style! Having the opportunity to taste a variety of cuisine that you wouldn’t regularly order makes the dining experience much richer and the conversation flow.  Then we just split the bill equally among all those eating to make it easier.  Having our colleagues from Michigan Inspirations join us at meals has been a great way to process the day and strolls through the streets are more pleasant.

Dogs are everywhere here, mostly on leash and are welcome in nearly every establishment.  Bikes wiz by and navigate oncoming cars with ease while talking on the phone in many cases.  The pace in Reggio Emilia is indeed slower than Florence but unique to only this city?  I’m beginning to understand the joy of their day as businesses are open from 9 to 1, then it is lunch time and rest until everything opens up again about 4 pm. Dinner for the Italians is typically 8 pm and amazingly we have adjusted to that schedule.  I’ve wondered how these quaint little shops survive?  They typically only have a specific inventory of things that one wouldn’t replace often.  Families must work and live in close proximity to take advantage of their day.

While visiting the market this morning, it wasn’t the wares that I was looking for but the interactions among the families, tourists, and vendors.  The choices people made as they looked through the clothes and jewelry trying to find a deal.  We left the squares near the hotel and wandered to the fountain square where there was another market set up.  What caught my eye more was the line of children holding hands with teachers stretched among them. This is what I came to Italy to observe, Kayla saw my interest and off we trailed at a non-stalking distance.

This group of children were exactly like any of the ECDC classrooms heading out on a similar excursion.  I assumed the group had come from the infamous Diana School which wasn’t far away from the fountain.  The children wore backpacks and some of the teachers were eating as they walked so I assumed the destination included a stop for lunch and then the teachers would be available to help, but where is the value of eating together?  As we followed through some of the side streets, we came to the Main Street and upon reaching it from behind discovered that the bikers and cars had all stopped from both sides acknowledging the importance of these students crossing safely.

After a few more side streets and turns we ended up back near the Market at the square near the hotel. Other groups of children had gathered near this building and they all entered. I was tempted to follow them inside but didn’t.  I’m sure they had some exciting activities waiting for them. How refreshing it was to watch these interactions!  Kayla and I then found some steps in front of a church to sit on to people watch some more.