Orientation FAQs

Is orientation mandatory?

Yes. Orientation at the University of Michigan-Flint is a required program designed to facilitate a smooth transition to UM-Flint and assist you in making the most of your college experience.

When and where is orientation?

First-Year orientation begins at 10:30 am in the Happenings Room, first floor, University Center. Transfer Sessions vary by time but also meet in the Happenings Room, first floor, University Center.

Where do I park for orientation?

You can park in the Mill Street Parking Deck. You do not need a permit.

Are driving directions available?

Yes.  You can use the following GPS:

• 402 Mill St.
    Flint MI, 48502

Can I bring my parents and/or guests to a First-Year orientation?

Yes. Parents and/or guests are invited to join the program at 4:15 pm.

What will we be doing at Orientation?

You can find a detailed agenda on the orientation website

What should I wear to orientation?

Dress casually and wear appropriate foot wear for walking on campus.

When do I purchase my textbooks?

You can purchase textbooks through the “Shop For Textbooks” link in your SIS account or bring in a copy of your schedule a few weeks before the semester to the bookstore.

Where and when do I get my parking permit, and why do I need one?

Parking permits are available in the University Pavilion by the bookstore the first two weeks of every semester and through the ITS Helpdesk in MSB.

Where is my parking permit valid?

In any of the campus parking including the UPAV and Mill Street Ramps and all of the flat lots, including T lot behind the Harrison Ramp, the lot behind the Rec Center and the lots by WSW.

ITS Software Purchases

ITS offers many discounts to students, faculty, and staff  See the ITS Helpdesk for prices and more info.

Jobs on Campus/Work Study

There are jobs available on- campus for those both with and without work study funds. Go to www.umjobs.org to see what is available and apply. If you have work study be sure to accept your work study before applying to a job on-campus. You can also approach a department directly to see what positions they have open.

Athletic Tickets and Information/Buses on game days

Athletic Tickets for Ann Arbor events can be purchased at www.mgoblue.com and buses are provided through the Alumni Association the day of the game. For tickets or info about UM-Flint club sports, see the Director of Club Sports, Dillon Thorne, in the UCEN Student Loft. You can contact Dillon Thorne at [email protected].

What is there to do in Flint?

Everything! There is a lot to do in Flint from the My Flint kickoff events in the fall to local musicians playing every Friday. Don’t be afraid to explore downtown, eat at the many great restaurants, and hang out with friends to watch live music or check out the art scene.

Why am I required to attend two orientation sessions?

Students admitted to the Challenge  Program are required to attend two orientation sessions – one Challenge Program Information Session and one Freshman Orientation.

When and where do I go for my Challenge Program Orientation?

Challenge Program orientation takes place the day before your freshman orientation.  The Challenge Program orientation begins at 4:00 pm in the Loving Cultural Lounge, second floor, University Center.  Parents are encouraged to attend. Please contact EOI for more details.