Graduate Programs

Blogs from students, faculty & staff

Grad Blog by H.K. Kopesky, Master of Art in Social Sciences student

“Set your goals high, and don’t stop til you get there.” — Bo Jackson

I didn’t know what the outcome would be if I were to return to study. I had been home for more than a decade, and was rather unsure about my future goals. I had thought for a while about returning to academics to pursue a master’s degree, but I had no idea which one or where. I started investigating and even attended an informational meeting for a different program. I felt as if it wasn’t a good fit for me. But at that meeting, something happened that changed my life: I picked up a flyer (on a whim) for the Master of Arts in Social Sciences at the University of Michigan-Flint. I planned to attend the program-specific informational meeting that they had scheduled for the following week.

Having attended UM-F as an undergrad, I knew where to park and where the Library was, but beyond that, I really felt like a fish-out-of-water. Not only was I uncommitted, I was unsure of the area that I wanted to study. On top of that, I was underemployed, so I wasn’t exactly sure how I would be able to pay for my classes.  Would I remember how to write papers for my professors, and would I be dedicated enough to make sure to do my readings and keep myself disciplined? Would I stay interested in attending my on-campus classes? Would they fit into my schedule? Would I like online classes? What about time management, balancing my family and my part-time job? Should I ease back into the student life, and only take one class or two, and… and… and…? And then what about … My list of questions went on and on.

Going back to school is a big deal.

When I walked into the Office of Graduate Programs the evening of that Open House last April, the first people I met were Bradley, Erin, Dr. Lutzker, and Dr. Blakey. And each one them answered every single question that I had. They fed me. They gave me a generous scholarship and they told me about other opportunities and available resources that existed to help me afford my master’s degree. I was so impressed with everyone that I met that night that I knew that my goal was to get accepted into the Master of Arts Program at the University of Michigan-Flint.

I wasn’t exactly sure if I had the academic background for the program, but I knew from the brochure that the program offered some really interesting looking courses. I explained my concerns to my Advisor, and he went out of his way to examine my transcript and talk to me about my options. An expert in his own right, he has helped me identify the areas where I need to improve, and he has given me numerous suggestions and resources that do exactly that. I trust my advisor’s advice. He has been super-available and helpful, even answering my questions after work hours and on weekends!

I ended up with 12 credit hours, or four classes for the entire year. That translates to almost half of the program. What a difference this year has made! It has been challenging at times, and a real adjustment. But I am so glad that I did this, and so thankful that the University of Michigan-Flint is close enough geographically to make my dreams and goals attainable! I have loved my classes, my professors, and my cohorts. I’m not just studying abstract theories, I’m learning things that are pertinent to the world that we live in. While my hope is that eventually earning an advanced degree will help me in the job market, the truth is that I value my studies most of all because of how much fun I am having. My Professors are all experts in their fields and they are all very adept at applying course content to current events. This program of study is highly relevant and having such a context for the material is very useful. I know that this degree is going to help me should I choose to go on to a PhD Program.

Having the opportunity to research my areas of interest utilizing the resources of The University of Michigan has been an amazing experience. For me, with my area of concentration still undecided, this is a very important thing. One of the best aspects of this particular program is the flexibility that it offers individual students in terms of choices. The librarians and staff are amazing and always go out of their way to offer friendly encouragement and advice. They too always answer every question that I have. I can quickly and easily search for books and other materials online or in person, and if the materials are not physically located in Flint, I can have them sent for pick up. The Library is not only a beautiful place, it is an excellent place to get to work and get things done. The Quiet Room is one of my absolute favorite (indoor) places on Campus… Comfy furniture, clean desks, and outlets for charging up devices—What more could a student want?

My advice for someone on the fence, debating whether or not to return to college to pursue a Master’s Degree, would be to apply at The University of Michigan-Flint. I don’t know if there is another institution out there that is so invested in the success of their students! I know from my undergrad years, there is no feeling like walking across the stage holding a University of Michigan Diploma.

For more information on UM-Flint’s MA in Social Sciences visit: https://www.umflint.edu/graduateprograms/social-sciences-ma.