We would all like to think that we’re invincible. “Yea, the job market may be suffering, but I’ll find a good job.” “Yea, a lot of my friends are living off of food stamps, but I won’t have to.” I have to admit that I definitely feel this way. Even with my background of coming from a single-parent household that did survive off of food stamps and other handouts, I still imagine myself living that “American Dream,” happily married with two kids, living in a nice house (big enough for all of us and a pet or two, but not too big as to be ostentatious and a hassle to clean), with maybe a Ford or two in the drive. Maybe I am naive. But it’s not wrong to dream and to actually expect your dream to become a reality.

When does the feeling of invincibility finally wear off? Or, better yet, does it even have to?

In chapter 4 of Fire in the Ashes, Kozol tells us the account of Ariella, a fearless mother who overcome just ridiculous odds. It almost doesn’t sound like a true story. I mean, shouldn’t this be a Lifetime movie, or something? She started off with little growing up, starting to be able stand on her own and make a life for her boys, only to have one of them taken away from her and another she had to watch go down a very destructive path before he came back. But the thing that creates all those warm, fuzzies is that she refused to let it take over her. Webster defines invincible as “too powerful to be defeated or overcome.” Invincible doesn’t mean that nothing can touch you, and bad stuff won’t ever happen, but that it won’t take you down.

I am invincible. Are you?

About AMANDA KIMBERLY

I am an Art History major, Spanish minor, super-Senior at U of M-Flint. Fall 2014 will (fingers-crossed) be my last semester as an undergrad. I am hoping to continue my education to pursue becoming an Art History college professor. This includes about another bajillion years of college, give or take. It's a good thing I am a huge art history nerd and can't get enough of college. For the non-academic side of me, I have a part-time job working at a county health plan and I am also heavily involved at my church running the computer, teaching Christian Ed, and toilet scrubber. I love every bit of how busy I am and, frankly, wouldn't know what to do if I had an hour of free time.

Post Navigation