Meet Kimberly Marsh

Meet Kimberly Marsh

Kimberly Marsh joined the College of Arts, Sciences & Education in June 2024. Originally from Detroit, Kimberly graduated from Detroit Public Schools and earned her Bachelor of Science in child development and language arts from Michigan State University.

After living in Metro Detroit for many years, Kimberly and her family recently relocated to Grand Blanc. Her husband, Michael, is in law enforcement, and she has two kids—Lydia and Landon—and a dog named Rocco.

Kimberly’s high school in Detroit offered a few different academic tracks, and she pursued child development. As part of this experience, she volunteered at the community daycare associated with her high school and fell in love with working with children.

“My aunt and uncle were high school principals in Columbus, Ohio, and they encouraged all of us to continue our education,” Kimberly shares. “Their experiences influenced me as I began to explore my degree options; they told me how rewarding a career in education was, which inspired me to pursue my degree.”

While at MSU, Kimberly worked as a teaching intern and eventually joined a small high school after graduation. There, she learned about different styles of assessment and career aptitude evaluations, which inspired her.

“I loved coaching students and helping them figure out what they want to do with their lives,” she remembers. “In my career pursuits, I had a holistic support system—friends, family, and colleagues who were there for me as I discovered my path. I wanted to be part of that for students, so I started looking for opportunities to work in career advising and service outside the classroom.”

As Kimberly develops the role of Career Service Manager, she has begun by meeting with faculty across the college, joining community networking groups such as the Flint Chamber of Commerce, and regularly meeting with students in one-on-one coaching sessions.

“I’m working to establish more internship opportunities for our students, as well as collaborate with other colleges at UM-Flint to host regular career fairs,” Kimberly notes. “In addition to the one-on-one sessions, I’ll offer workshops that will allow students to hone their job-related skills—building their resumes and portfolios, interviewing well, networking techniques, and effective public speaking.”

While Kimberly is relatively new to the Flint area, her husband grew up here, and she is excited about the revitalization the area is beginning to experience.

“Some people have a negative perception of Flint, but I see its potential, and I think UM-Flint has a real opportunity here,” she remarks. “We can offer the building blocks for change: quality education, empowerment and encouragement, guidance and focus. This is how we heal our communities, and I want to see Flint continue to rebound and become an even healthier place—mentally, physically, and economically. I’m passionate about how my background and skillset can contribute to that bigger picture.”

Kimberly hopes to grow in her career by pursuing her master’s in counseling psychology. She plans to focus on helping individuals overcome traumatic experiences and use them as stepping stones to pursue the life they dream of, positively impacting their communities.

“Growing up in an urban community, in a single-parent family structure, gives me insight into how to guide those with similar experiences. I want them to know that an upbringing characterized by poverty and adversity is not a drawback to a great future.” Kimberly explains. “I want to rally around them holistically and help them find their purpose in a sustainable and healthy way. I am excited to see Flint revitalizing, one student at a time.”

Kimberly with her husband, Michael

Flint in Three Words…

• Resilient
  • Resilient
  • Resilient
Kimberly’s kids, Lydia and Landon, with Rocco

• Cooking with her family
  • Ballroom and Line Dancing
  • Watching romantic or action comedy movies (Failure to Launch, Bridesmaids, Lethal Weapon, Fast and Furious)
  • Reading self-help books (recent reads include “Make Your Bed” by Admiral William H McRaven and “Mind, Mouth, Moods & Attitudes” by Joyce Meyer)
  • Traveling anywhere with her family, but they particularly enjoy tropical locations and fishing on Michigan’s many lakes