Meet Amanda Taylor of UM-Flint Psychology

taylor_amanda_portrait
Name:
Amanda Taylor, M.S.
Title: Lecturer III
Department: Psychology

Classes I teach:
PSY 100 – Principles of Psychology
PSY 309 – Abnormal Psychology
PSY 323 – Advanced Research and Writing in Psychology
PSY 336 – Psychology of Personality
PSY 351 – Techniques of Behavioral Change
PSY 352 – Introduction to Clinical Psychology

Professional Interests, Activities, or Publications:
I am a clinician working in private practice in Ann Arbor MI. I work with adolescents and adults with various disorders, and specialize in anxiety and personality disorders. As evidence based practice is my priority, I use Acceptance and Commitment therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and other empirically supported treatments to help foster fulfillment in the lives of the people I work with.

In addition to my clinical work, teaching psychology is an infinitely rewarding challenge that I am incredibly grateful to have in my life. I enjoy, more than anything, fostering students’ ability to critically think about important matters in our field, and in our world.

Research or Specific Areas of Interest:
My research interests surround deception. More specifically, the emotion regulation properties of deception, and the development and maintenance of deception as verbal behavior.

Degree(s)/Education:
B.A. Political Science and Psychology, Eastern Michigan University, 2010
M.S. Clinical Behavioral Psychology, Eastern Michigan University, 2013

Memberships:
Association for Contextual and Behavioral Science
Association for Psychological Science
Behavior Analysis Association of Michigan

How I fell in love with my field:
As an undergrad, I was somewhat lackadaisically making my way through a political science course trajectory, with the aim of becoming a lawyer. I took a forensic psychology class, in hopes for an easy “A.” But instead, what I got was an amazing research opportunity with a psychology faculty member to look at the emotion regulation properties of illegal behaviors – and I realized that behavior (no matter how deviant) is always conditioned from some sort of antecedent or context, and that compassion as a response was more appealing to me than litigation. I have since become a behavior analyst who uses compassion and mindfulness in everyday practice to foster meaningful relationships with people whose behavior has at times felt out of control for them. And, I really love it.

What I hope for my time at UM-Flint:
I hope to continue down the road of intellectual engagement in areas that matter to me, and I hope to foster relationships and connections with people who love learning about the world as much as I do.

What I hope for students in my field:
I hope to inspire students to live authentic, meaningful lives by way of critical thinking and intellectual engagement with important, real life issues – much in the same way I was inspired as a undergraduate student, years ago.

Something you should know about me:
I live in Ann Arbor, and love the commute! There are few other times in my life where I can be with thoughts for an hour and listen to music as loud as I choose!

To learn more about the Psychology Department at UM-Flint, visit their website umflint.edu/psychology.