Adam found his future career – and family – at UM-Flint.

When Adam Rainey (Applied Psychology, ’15) took a course on preparing for a career in psychology with Dr. Allen Bellamy, he discovered his passion and future profession. The 2015 graduate now works as a school psychologist at Grand Blanc Community Schools.

“My goal was to work with people who want to help others succeed. Every day I walk into work and I’m surrounded by people who want to help kids do their best, so I feel lucky,” Adam says.

School psychologists like Adam help support students, teachers, families, and other professionals in providing the best educational outcomes for learners. Whether it’s developing plans with students to promote positive behaviors or counseling parents on issues like teen substance abuse, his end goal is to help kids have a successful and rewarding time in school and l

After graduating from UM-Flint, Adam went on to earn his master’s and specialist degrees from the University of Detroit Mercy. Now that he is three years into his career as a licensed professional, Adam appreciates that no day on the job could be described as “typical.”

“There are some days when I sit down at my desk and when I look up at the clock, it’s the end of the day,” Adam says. “I don’t think I’ve had a single day that felt like one I had before.”

Adam’s work continues to change day-by-day due to the Michigan-wide closure of K-12 schools. Since he has less direct interaction with students, Adam is now focusing on longer term initiatives, like evaluating the district’s special education program by researching different models and ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations.

The collaborative and varied nature of his work means Adam needs to be a creative thinker and excellent communicator—skills that he was able to develop both in class and in student organizations. Adam kept busy on campus as a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, the President’s Ball planning committee, and more.

“Once you’re out working in the field, you know what you have to accomplish but not necessarily how to accomplish it. Gaining experience in leadership roles on campus gave me a foundation in navigating organizations and working with people,” Adam says.

Of course, being involved on campus meant Adam didn’t just work with other students, he made social connections as well. He met his wife, Jennifer (a 2013 graduate of the School of Education and Human Services) through Greek life—she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha. Their daughter, Olivia, is a future Wolverine.