Social Work Student Reflects on Strengths-Finder Strategy

susan

Susan Wachendorfer, UM-Flint Social Work student

A native of Flint, Susan Wachendorfer is a non-traditional student at the University of Michigan-Flint, pursuing her bachelor degree in social work. Susan, who serves as volunteer coordinator for the Social Work Club, reflects on the strengths-finder strategy that the department implemented this fall semester to help students identify their unique strengths and further their success in their coursework and as aspiring social workers. Faculty and staff also took the assessment.

Susan discovered through the assessment that her top strength was Harmony. “I like people to get along,” Susan said. “I roll with the punches. Someone might say I’m not reacting so I don’t care but what good would that do? It’s good to remember your strengths when you’re in a job or internship because everyone has different strengths — and when you feel out of your comfort zone, you can tell yourself you made a commitment. It will help you to rely on other people and their strengths.”

Susan transferred to UM-Flint from Mott Community College and hopes to continue on to graduate school and then use her education and skills to help members of the Flint community as a social worker. She enjoys projects that promote community-building and advocacy. “I’d like to be a part of Flint’s rebuilding and educational reform and to help bring back more people to the city,” she said.

strengths-tree

The Strengths Tree in the Social Work Department displays the strengths of social work students, faculty and staff who took the assessment.