Blogging from South Africa – Student Jaslyn Morris

Submitted by University of Michigan-Flint student Jaslyn Morris, of Grand Blanc. This July 2016 trip is connected with a University of Michigan-Flint International and Global Studies (IGS) study abroad course: Rethinking Social Development in Southern Africa.

Jaslyn4

Jaslyn Morris working with kids on Ubuntu arts.

On July 13, 2016, we were working on Ubuntu arts with the children in Healdstown, a small herding community. Although we were supposed to be teaching them about Ubuntu, or the concept of oneness, I believe they were the ones who taught me. Sometime in the day, I was able to talk to the kids about their daily life and tell them about mine, and I realized the difference in our stories. I’m always talking about how I’m a broke college student and a lot of people complain about the economy in the U.S. right now, but in reality, there is always going to be someone out there who has it worse than we do.

The hotel we stayed at in Johannesburg was so amazing and modern, and I slept in a room that probably costs about 860 South African rands for a night, which is just about 57 American dollars according to the current exchange rate. Since everything is relatively low-cost here, I am sure that I could come to South Africa on a different occasion and live like a queen for a while, even with a small budget. I think we often get so distracted by material things and money that we forget to actually live and enjoy the small things in life.

Jaslyn3

Jaslyn Morris

While working with the kids in Healdstown, I was able to take a step back and relearn what it means to be alive. Some of these kids aren’t guaranteed a mattress to sleep on at home, but they can describe to me how it feels to run along in the rolling, grassy hills that are dotted with short trees and wide bushes, chasing their goats into their proper places. I left Healdstown with a different perspective, and I could fully appreciate the way the sun glazed everything with a warm and gentle glow.