Beyond the Career Fair: A Success Story – Krystal

If you ever need a reason to attend a Career Fair, then here’s a good one.

I recently interviewed Krystal, a student assistant in the AACC, who attended the Fall 2011 Career Fair and landed a local internship. Her internship will be through Whaley Children’s Center and she just completed her interview process with them. Krystal said the process of getting the internship was very easy for her; she simply went to the fair, spoke to some representatives from Whaley’s and signed-up to volunteer.  Within a few weeks she received a phone call and set up the interview.

I asked Krystal what the interview experience was like. She said “it was scary and they asked about everything you could imagine.” She continued, “it was pretty much all of the stuff that’s in InterviewStream. They asked me what were my strengths and weaknesses.”  When I asked her if using InterviewStream prior would have been helpful, she replied “yes”.  For her this internship is opportune because it is close to campus and she needs the service hours to complete her degree. Volunteering at Whaley’s Children Center is bound to be a new experience for her and she is looking forward to beginning.

All in all Krystal’s experience at the Fall 2011 Career Fair was a positive one and she said that she definitely benefitted from attending.  I asked Krystal if she had any advice for anyone else wanting to attend a Career Fair and she said, “Just come and check it out. You never know what’s going to come and you can’t expect who will be there.”

Grace Carey
AACC Social Media Marketer
UM-Flint Student
28 Nov 2011