I’m sure you can remember in middle and high school getting a day off in mid-January and rejoicing in a 4-day school week. In recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we now have the opportunity to turn that day off into a day on—a day of service and giving back.
UM-Flint’s Diversity & Education Services and local organizations come together each year to present the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. This Monday you have the chance to do a number of great things and volunteer with one of 11 local organizations, in addition to some events happening this week.
- Understanding Race Theme Semester Kick-Off – TONIGHT at 5:30PM in the Kiva
- Viewing of “Race: The Power of An Illusion” followed by discussion
- 34th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community-Wide Tribute Dinner – Tomorrow at 6:00PM at the Sarvis Center
- Annual dinner celebrating the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
For more information about these events, click here or contact Diversity Education Services at (810) 762-3169.
Monday, January 21 is the Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. The agenda is packed for the day and you can give back in a variety of ways.
- Volunteer Breakfast – 7-9AM in the Michigan Rooms
- Join your fellow volunteers for breakfast and get pumped up for an amazing day of service.
- Blood Drive – 8:30AM-1:30PM in the Happenings Room
- Do your part and donate! Donors get a coupon for a FREE large one-item pizza from Papa John’s Pizza.
- 57th Presidential Inauguration Viewing – All day in the Loving Cultural Center
- Stop by to see the swearing-in of the 44th President, Barack Obama.
You can also register to go out into the community and volunteer at any one of these great organizations.
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Flint
- Carriage Town Ministries
- Flint Eastside Mission
- Flint Public Library
- Genesee County Habitat for Humanity
- Humane Society of Genesee County
- Let’s Have Some Art
- My Brother’s Keeper
- Our Home Transitional
If you’re interested in signing up, visit the Day of Service website!
This is a great chance to give back and make an impact in the community. My first year I volunteered at Adopt-a-Pet and had an awesome time with fellow students helping out. Last year I volunteered at My Brother’s Keeper, and it was great to lend a hand with some of their projects.
Wherever you go or whatever you do, take a moment to think about why you’re there and just how much of a difference you can make through your service!