The 206 MSB Open Computer Lab will be temporarily closed on October 15th and 16th to allow our technicians to make upgrades to the network infrastructure in this area. During this time the ITS Helpdesk attached to 206 MSB will still be open and available to assist users. All other computer labs will still be open for their normal hours. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the ITS Helpdesk at ITSHelpdesk@umflint.edu or by phone at 810-762-3123 (Option 1).
With the Fall 2015 semester well underway, ITS would like to share a few tips and reminders to help the student body have a successful term.
General ITS Lab Usage Reminders:
- When using lab computers, please do not save _any_ of your work to the desktop. Save all of your documents to your H:\ drive. If you are unsure how to do this, please ask a helpdesk technician for assistance. The lab computers will remove locally saved files after 30 minutes. To ensure this does not happen to your final papers, please save them to your H:\ drive!
- Please be respectful of your neighbors and keep conversations soft-spoken. If you have a phone call, please step into the hallway, as cellphone use is not allowed in the lab.
ITS Lab Printing Tips:
- Please do not print documents directly from Blackboard, as doing so will most likely result in a failed print job. If you are printing a document posted to Blackboard, please save the file to your H:\ drive first, then open that file from the H:\ drive. This will ensure there are no server related issues associated with printing from Blackboard.
- If your document doesn’t print while at the printer, before leaving, check to make sure the printer isn’t asking for additional resources. To do this, simply log out and then look at the upper left of the panel. If you see “Jobs require additional resources” your print job needs your attention before it will release.
- To get your document to print when resources are required:
- Log in to the printer.
- Press the Job Status
- Tap on the Active Jobs
- Tap on the print job associated with your Uniqname.
- Tap on Print on Alternate Paper.
- ITS & the Office of Extended Learning strongly encourage the use of Mozilla FireFox with BlackBoard. Due to past instability issues with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome’s abandoning key elements that enable Java to function, we recommend Mozilla FireFox for the best BlackBoard experience.
- Please remember that if you need help with any assignment, forum post or test item, please contact your Instructor before reaching out to the Office of Extended Learning. OEL is not able to assist with course work items without Instructor permission.
- If you are taking a test in BlackBoard and only the first question is appearing, please exit out of the test and contact your Instructor for another attempt and follow up with OEL. Ensure you are using Mozilla FireFox. This is a common issue seen with Internet Explorer.
Can’t Login to a Resource:
- If you find you are unable to login to a resource, you might need your UMICH password instead of your LAN password. Usually you can tell if the site is maintained by Ann Arbor if the web address contains “.umich.edu.” The Ann Arbor campus maintains some resources used here at the University of Michigan-Flint, so if you are unable to access something, it could be the password.
- To setup your UMICH password, please see umflint.edu/umichpass
- Some common items you’ll need your UMICH password for are:
- Accessing Library Resources (Mirlyn)
- PEERRS Certification (http://my.research.umich.edu/peerrs/)
- Wolverine Access
Remember, if you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to contact us at 810.762.3123 option 1 or by email at email@example.com. You can also stop by one of our campus locations. We’re always happy to help!
We are happy to report that Merit has fully restored the connection to campus and everything should once again be operating as normal. If you experience any connection issues, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-762-3123 option 1. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Today our internet provider, Merit, has informed us that they are experiencing connection issues with UM-Flint campus and surrounding area. This may cause computers to not respond or respond slowly when using an external network resource.
Merit has assured us that they are working diligently to fully restore the connection. We will update campus as soon as we are able to confirm that everything is working normally.
Please be aware there has been a phishing email sent to a large number of campus users. It’s titled Staff Email and from firstname.lastname@example.org. The email asks to upgrade your mailboxes to 15GB by clicking a link. Please do not click this link because this is a scam. ITS would never ask for personal information in an email because it’s not a secure form of communication. If you have any questions contact the ITS Helpdesk by phone at 810-762-3123 option 1 or email at email@example.com.
Last year, Google announced plans to deprecate NPAPI plugin support for the Chrome browser. As of the beginning of September this plan has completed and users will no longer have access to plugins requiring NPAPI support. The University of Michigan-Flint is affected by this change in support and users may find some resources crippled when using Google Chrome as a result.
General users will find issues with Outlook Web Application as it uses Silverlight, an NPAPI plugin. With its blocking, users will find their address book will no longer function correctly and will have problems attaching files to their email.
Faculty and staff that access resources such as banner via web will find themselves unable to launch the application, as Java is required to run Banner, and is also a type of NPAPI plugin.
Going forward, we are recommending all users to migrate over to Firefox if you experience any issues with university resources in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this change, please contact the ITS Helpdesk at ITSHelpdesk@umflint.edu or by phone at 810-762-3123 option 1.
The 206 MSB and 205 FH open computer labs will be unavailable Saturday, August 29 for cleaning. During this time the ITS Helpdesk will be relocated to 3174 WSW and will be open our standard Saturday hours of 10am to 6pm. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 810-762-3123 option 1 if you have any questions or concerns.
Parking Permit and Mcard Distribution
Located on the University Pavilion Stage (Under the ITS Tent)
Fall Hours – September 1st to 8th
Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 8:00am-7:00pm
Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015 8:00am-7:00pm
Thursday, September 3rd, 2015 8:00am-7:00pm
Friday, September 4th, 2015 8:00am-4:00pm
Monday, September 7th, 2015 Closed
Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 8:00am-7:00pm
Please be sure to bring your Government Issued Picture ID along with the
Make, Model, and License Plate Number for your vehicle to receive
your Student ID and Parking Permit.
Returning Students who Already have a Parking Permit:
Please bring your Mcard and Parking Permit to receive your validation sticker.
ITS continues to distribute Mcards, parking permits, and/or validation stickers to students registered for the current semester throughout the semester at the Mcard stations in the open computing labs at 206 MSB and 3174 WSW.
Due to the Crim race occurring on Saturday, August 22nd, ITS will be closing the main helpdesk and lab located in 206 MSB. ITS will open the helpdesk location in WSW 3174 from 10am to 6pm, so if you require assistance on the 22nd, please visit the technician on duty there or call 810.762.3123 opt 1. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.