Place-Based Education Series:
Want to know more about place-based education?
A free place-based education (PBE) video series, produced by University Outreach at the University of Michigan-Flint, is available for online viewing. The series was made possible through a $20,000 grant by the Saginaw Bay Watershed Initiative Network and support from the Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative.
Two ways to take advantage of the series:
- Michigan teachers can enroll ─ completely free of charge ─ in online professional development sessions featuring the videos, and earn 4 State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) for completing the series. Enrollment is offered quarterly through the University of Michigan-Flint Office of Extended Learning. To sign up or learn more about receiving credit for the series, click here; be sure to include your name, address, e-mail and a message regarding your interest in the UM-Flint University Outreach Place-Based Education video series.
- Educators not seeking SCECHs, parents and community members may view individual video segments online, along with related resources, by clicking here.
Video segments include:
1. Principles of Place-Based Education (PBE) (24:30, David Sobel, Jon Yoder, Chris Heeter)
2. Building School-Community Partnerships (35:02, Mona Munroe-Younis, M’Lis Bartlett, Matthew Washington, Jon Yoder)
3. PBE and Sustainable Communities (31:54, Jon Yoder, Matthew Washington)
4. Designing Place-Based Education Projects and Activities (2-part segment)
a. Designing PBE Projects through Community Mapping (20:30, Brian Willingham)
b. Designing PBE Projects with Student Voice and Choice and the Earth Force Process (23:03, Ashley Miller-Helmholdt, David Sobel, Jon Yoder)
5. Authentic Assessment of Student Achievement (31:07, Rebecca Nielsen, Jon Yoder)
6. Working Outdoors with Students (21:05, Katherine Hollins, Matthew Washington, Jon Yoder)
7. Connecting PBE to Curriculum Standards (20:36, Rebecca Nielsen, Jon Yoder, David Sobel)
Past Workshop Presentations and Resource Materials:
For archived information about past events, click here.
Aug. 23, 2012 “Our Cities, Our Classrooms” conference
Beyond the Paper and Pencil Test: Assessing PBE, Rebecca Nielsen, Nielsen Education Consulting
Exploring Theme Gardens, Dr. Norm Lownds, Michigan State University School of Horticulture