Inquiry can be such an amazing teaching process. This inquiry exercise began with teachers viewing the first video in the Annenberg inquiry video workshop, then practicing an exercise with their students.
Dr. Don Hammond tried the inquiry exercise with his class at Beecher High School.
Hammond said inquiry helps students:
- view themselves as scientist in the process oflearning
- accept an “invitation to learn” and readily engage in the exploratory process
- plan and carry out investigations
- communicate using a variety of methods
- propose explanations and solutions and build a store of concepts
- raise questions
- use observation
- critique their science practices